Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A short story

Don Sampo
James Hepworth
March 10, 2009
A short story

Chicano

“Where are you headed?” Asked Pete. “I am going to Escondido, California.” Carol replied.
“Are you from this area?” Asked Pete. “No,” said Carol.
“I was born in Mexico City,” she said.
“Do you have any family here?” Pete replied.
“I have relatives in San Marcos, California.” She said.
“I grew up in San Diego, but I have relatives all over the United States.” He said.
“Like where? Like New York, Florida, and Texas,” he remarked.
“My family originated in Italy,” said Pete.
“Do you read books, Carol? Sometimes I do, if the story is interesting to me.”
“Do you like to dance, Carol? Oh yes, but most of the time I am not in the mood.
“Do you like to dance, Pete? Yes I do, but I am not very good.”
“I could teach you to dance well, she said.” “It sounds good to me, Carol.”
“How about movies? Do you like movies, Carol? Oh yes, but not the violent scary ones.”
“I like romance, drama, and adventure,” she said. “I like real life romance,” said Pete.
“You know candlelight on the beach in the Riviera. The real mushy stuff, I like.” He said.
“Oh yes, I like the way you think,” she said.
“What’s up with this? A police car with flashing lights and siren?” Said Pete.
“The policemen broadcasts, Pull Over!”
“Step on it Pete! If you don’t want to get shot, you’ll do exactly as I say!”
“The first dirt driveway you find, pull in there!” She said.
“What did you do Carol?” “Remember the liquor store where you picked me up?”
“I robbed the liquor store!”
“Great! That’s just Great! I thought I was doing you a favor by giving you a ride.
“I started to like you, and now this.”
“Just pull over in that driveway over there and turn off your lights!”
“When the police car passes, we can travel to a different place.
“Let’s go across the border into Mexico. You can drop me off here in Tijuana.”
“What you do after that is your own doing.” “This makes me so angry!”
“Thanks for nothing!” “You are nothing but trouble!”
“I was minding my own business, and now the police are looking for me.”
“I will have to tell the American police the whole story.”
“I hope the police can believe my story!”

1 comment:

  1. I love the plot in this story. The dialog needs some work.

    ReplyDelete