Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A response to The Rich Brother

Don Sampo
James Hepworth
English 150
April 14, 2009
A response

The Rich Brother
By Tobias Wolff

1. The brothers, Donald and Pete, seem to be developing characters. We learn more about their personalities as the story proceeds.
2. Wolff employs an objective point of view, as kind of an outsider. Pete’s perceptions of Donald seem like he knows him, yet Donald speaks as if he doesn’t really know him or understand him.
3. Pete’s idea of Donald’s purpose in life is well founded, but I think brothers are sometimes hard to figure out. My brothers and I have a good relationship, but we don’t always tell each other exactly how we feel about life and family.
4. I do believe Donald’s claim that Pete tried to kill him when they were children. My brother and I fought ferociously when we were kids. My dad was amazed that we made to adulthood without dying.
5. Pete’s dream of being blind was his way of payback to Donald. I think Pete was tired of watching over his brother. I think Pete wanted help for a change. I think Pete needed help to manage with the blindness.
6. Donald doesn’t blame Pete for dropping him off on the road. Pete gave Donald some money, and Donald squandered it away on a dream of his. Pete doesn’t understand his brother as much he thinks.
7. Yes, this story could be called “My Brother’s Keeper.” Pete takes care of Donald and watches over him. They don’t always seem to get along, but brothers seem to do that sometimes. I mean fight against each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment