Thursday, April 9, 2009

Character traits

James Hepworth

English 150

My character

Character traits

April 9, 2009

Crafty Gary

He has a medium build with long black hair and brown eyes. There is a touch of gray streaks in his hair, but it looks distinguished. Gary is near fifty years old now. His height is five foot eight. Gary walks with a limp. He has scars on his face and legs. I called him scar-face, but he earned those scars defending other people. He comes off as an in-your-face man with a large amount of laughter. Gary is friendly, humorous, and a hard worker. He talks a lot sometimes, but I never know when he will start acting weird. He served two tours in Vietnam, and he never tells me the whole story. He’s sarcastic, tough, and strong as a bull. He is Apache, Italian, and Irish all rolled into one package.
He can be unpredictable at times, with practical jokes and pranks. He told me that received an honorable discharge from the Army because of his wounds in Vietnam. Gary doesn’t like to talk about the war very much. He has been a truck driver, hunting and fishing guide, a shoe salesman, a dad, and a husband. He is more alone these days, but he keeps right on acting strange and being funny. His wife died of cancer; his kids don’t live in the area anymore. He told me stories about dreams that he had from the war, and I thought he was nuts. He said, “These dreams are not from this world.” It may sound crazy, but I feel closer to the Spirit in the Sky.
He said, “I am a powerful medicine man in these dreams, and I dream of future events.” I told him that it’s alright because I have heard about strange dreams before. I had some weird dreams after my dad died many years ago. How was your childhood, Gary? “I was raised by several families, mostly Indians. I didn’t have a very good childhood. It was full of abuse. You know that hard hitting and yelling kind.” Did you ever know your mom or dad, Gary? “My mom died when I was born, and my dad was a drug addict. I never knew my dad. It would have been nice, but I guess the best people in life are those that stick around when you’re young.” “There have been some strange people in my lifetime. You know; those violent ones! I always won the battles.” He comes off as an aggressive person, but he is really unique once you get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment